Iconic & Historic Brides
Below is a collection of some of the World’s most famous Brides and their Weddings brought to you by the Africa Bridal Industry Academy (ABIA) – what style they all have..
#1 Grace Kelly Marries Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956
- Monaco’s entire adult population — some 3,000 at the time — was invited to the wedding reception.
- Aristotle Onassis presented Prince Rainier III and his bride, Princess Grace with a 147-foot yacht as a wedding gift. The newlyweds traveled the Mediterranean on the yacht on honeymoon.
- The people of the principality of Monaco offered the couple a Rolls Royce convertible as a wedding present.
- Grace Kelly had with her the book entitled Bride’s Manual: A Manual of Catholic Devotion with Mass for the Marriage Ceremony and the Nuptial Blessing during her wedding ceremony to Prince Rainier III.
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta, “On her wedding day, Grace Kelly gave new meaning to the word icon.”
#2 Princess Diana Weds Prince Charles in 1981
#3 Jacqueline Lee Bouvier weds John F. Kennedy on September 12, 1953
#4 Joséphine de Beauharnais Weds Napoléon Bonaparte in 1796
This after seeing her first husband Alexandre de Beauharnais guillotined during the Reign of Terror. In 1795 she met General Napoléon Bonaparte and became his mistress. In a letter to her he wrote, “I awake full of you. Your image and the memory of last night’s intoxicating pleasures has left no rest to my senses.” They wed a year later.
In February of 1797, Bonaparte wrote: “You to whom nature has given spirit, sweetness, and beauty, you who alone can move and rule my heart, you who know all too well the absolute empire you exercise over it!” Many of the love letters remain intact to this today.